Feature as a service.
Most of my projects are done during my free time (in a good mood, of course). There are times when I am unable to work on certain projects according to user requests, one of which is because I couldn’t find any strong motivation to make it a priority.
I consider the concept of bounty as one of the best open-source financing solutions that will not burden the community, as financing will be provided on a voluntary basis with a small amount of money.
Bounty is not the same as paid services. When the financial target has been met and the related project has been completed, then the project will be released as an open-source code and can be used and modified by everyone. Therefore, it will not be profitable for you if you want to finance everything, even if you can. I suggest you to invite other participants to do so, so that the next project will be achieved faster with less money.
At the moment, I don’t have any special calculation system for bounties. The bounty process will be done through a discussion process or through my own initiative. When the bounty has started, the fund calculation will be enabled.
All funds will be collected via PayPal. I will announce the progress every time a new transaction occurs. As with a very simple system, you may need to provide information on the purpose for which you are providing funds, via e-mail or via description field in the payment process.
The following is a typical process of starting a bounty on the basis of my own initiative:
- I write an issue about the project that I will work on.
- I determine the amount of funds needed.
- I set a deadline, and state that if the funds are not met then the project will be canceled or simply transformed into a paid feature that can be purchased and is not legally available to the public.
The following is a typical process of starting a bounty on the basis of your initiative:
- You write an issue about what features you want.
- You determine the funds that the community may be able to provide.
- I provide input if the feature is better to be added in a separate extension or layout.
- I determine whether the project can be achieved or not.
- I stated whether I’m willing to do it or not.
- When I say I’m willing to do it, I will start the bounty with the amount of funds according to the previous discussion.
- In many cases, I might state that I’m willing to do it for free or simply giving you the code snippet needed to make such features for simple requests.